Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Can we talk for a minute?


I have a bit of a problem.....it seems that I have laundry *issues*. Laundry-folding issues, to be more specific. Yep.....that's clean, unfolded laundry you see up there folks. Six baskets of it, if you really want to know. See how cozy my sweet Baby Bird is in her little nest? I'm good through the collecting, washing and drying stages of this process.....but that seems to be where things start to break down. It turns out that if I find myself with a moment or two of spare, uninterrupted time....I'd rather knit, sew, read, drink my coffee, do yoga or blog. But definitely NOT fold laundry.

I used to keep this *problem* a secret. I'd rush frantically to move all the unfolded clothes into the office just before playdates would arrive; trying to appear as if I had it all together.... another successful happy homemaker.

Then one day, on a whim, I confessed; to the one friend who I thought maybe wouldn't disown me if she knew about the mountain of laundry hiding just behind the office door. And guess what I discovered (after she finished laughing at me)? I'm not the only one who does this! It turns out that other people avoid folding their laundry too....some folks stash it behind closed doors like me, some pile it high on a spare bed, and others leave it in the dryer until it can no longer be avoided.

It is such a relief to let the world know that I HATE FOLDING LAUNDRY! I GET MINIMAL AMOUNTS OF TIME TO MYSELF IN A DAY, AND I DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT TO SPEND THEM FOLDING THE STINKING LAUNDRY!

Go ahead, give it a try. Confess to someone today. Where do you stash your dirty little secret?







5 comments:

lulubelle said...

You're not alone.

I generally get around to folding the clean laundry when I need the baskets to transport more clean laundry.

If I had more and/or bigger baskets it would never get done.

That said, I've stopped folding my oldest son's laundry altogether. He is supposed to put it away, but decided it's easier to just root through the basket when he needs clothes. The rooting effectively unfolds everything...so I no longer bother.

Cate said...

I have baskets and baskets of clean laundry hanging around the house. Like Lesley, mine gets folded when I run out of baskets... sometimes... sometimes I just amalgamate baskets in order to create one very full basket, and one fresh new empty basket :).
Unfortunately, this means that sometimes things get lost for extended periods of time. Eventually they resurface, and it's like they're new again :).

Robyn - said...

I'm laughing so hard right now...in that 'thank god I'm not alone' sort of way :) I cannot wait until my kids are old/big enough to do their own laundry. I figure Big Bird has two more years before I pass that torch. Oh, and we're BIG on basket amalgamation here....I refuse to buy more baskets because somewhere in my brain I know that would just be enabling myself!

Alison said...

I put the clean stuff in the living room, and force House Man to help me fold it whenever we're watching TV. Then I play the "I'm pregnant and I can't lift that" card to get him to take it downstairs once it's folded (yes, we're backwards, and we live upstairs and sleep downstairs).

Alison said...

Oh yeah, we only have ONE basket for clean laundry, so amalgamation can only go on for a finite amount of time in our house!

I won't tell you what happens to the clean folded laundry though. That's still a secret!