Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Summer, 1980.
Are you diggin' the polyester? My Great Aunt Molly was visiting from England, and decided it was high time this girl learned how to knit. In the picture you can (sort of) see my brow furrowed in concentration as I SLOWLY, painfully work one stitch after another. My mom still jokes that it was the quietest she had ever seen me...both in all the time before the picture, and all the years since ;)

I think about teaching my own kids to knit. I have a hard time imagining that at 6 years old they will be able to concentrate long enough to figure it out....but there I am, living proof that it's possible. I can't wait to pass this tradition on.

I'd love to hear about the traditions you plan to pass on to your own kids.....

5 comments:

Alison said...

What traditions am I planning on passing on? You know, I wanted to pass on some of our Xmas ones, but that didn't work out cause with one set of grandparents coming from far away, things just didn't work out like I wanted. Other than that, I've passed on bedtime story time, and letting him "read" himself to sleep if he wants to. And not much else so far!

Robyn - said...

We do the "read" yourself to sleep thing too...after reading several books to him first, that is! I LOVED reading myself to sleep (still do).

gita said...

Your hair! Your hair! Your hair! HAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA! I'm about to pee my pants, gotta go!

Robyn - said...

um ya...you weren't supposed to notice the hair ;)

gita said...

Ok. I can breathe now. A tradition to pass on? Hmmm. A couple. First and foremost, knitting. My mother's side of the fam is Norwegian and it's a HUGE part of our culture, my mom just didn't have the patience to teach me, but my BFF Robyn did! ;)
Also, cooking. Some of my best memories w/my parents are in the kitchen, cooking, baking, canning. AAhHHHH.