Friday, May 9, 2008


Driving in the car yesterday, I was suddenly overwhelmed by the urge to toss ALL of our CD's out the window (picture me, hair blowing in the breeze as I speed down the highway, the kids are screaming in the backseat. I'm flinging CD's one at a time out the open window.....accompanied by maniacal laughter, of course).
If your car is anything like mine, then it has been taken over by childrens music. I swear the CD's multiply when I'm not looking. Occasionally it gets to the point where KinderMusik songs are cemented into my brain, permanently stuck on *play*. They cycle over and over and over again.....peekaboo, peekaboo, peekaboo i love you....peekaboo, peekaboo I love you....... and then I know it's time for a new infusion of life into our "Entertain the Kids While Driving in the Car" cd collection.

***To give my kids credit, I should mention that they do enjoy artists like Jack Johnson, etc as well. However, even Jack gets old after hearing the same songs 1,000 times (sorry honey).

And so.....I spent some time online earlier this morning (being the good Idle Parent that I am) looking for audio versions of some of the kids favorite books. Please allow me to share the fruits of my labour with you...

First, a link to one of our favorite authors, Robert Munsch. From this site you can link to downloadable audio versions of all of his books.....read by him, which is pretty entertaining. If you are unfamiliar with his work, consider starting with Mud Puddle, Alligator Baby, or Angela's Airplane.

Next, a couple of more general links to sites with a wide variety of audio books to choose from, for all ages.

Have the technology guru at your house (which in the case of our family, is most definitely NOT me) burn some new cd's for the car with the files that you download.
What a relief. Your family will thank you for it.

2 comments:

lulubelle said...

The only concession to children's music in the car that I made was for the Muppets. Mostly because I like them.

There is also a podcast out there called "Faerie Knitting" where the host reads traditional Faerie tales. Those can be burnt or loaded into an ipod/mp3 player. Keep in mind though that those are the original tales, no nicey nice Disney versions.

I've also bought Dr Suess stories on itunes.

Cate said...

We've got an overload of Kinder Music in our car too! A while ago, I quietly tuned the radio to CBC, and somehow got away with it. Mind you, that was after we moved back to town, and 45 minute car rides to the grocery store were a thing of the past :).
Oh, and thanks for the suggestions on Mothering about homeschooling. I even recently saw an article about a homeschooled girl who was not only accepted to, but courted by all of the top 10 US universities.... I'll have to pass it on to them :).