Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I have Multiple Craft Personalities Disorder..... (Alternate title considered for this post : Help me, I'm an Indecisive Gemini....)

Something about spring causes me to pull out my all-time favorite book. Dying to knit is filled with eye-candy that lights a fire in my creative soul! Every spring I lovingly pour over the pages of this how-to guide to fiber dying. I always find something new, something I swear wasn't in there the previous spring. Some new tid-bit of information, or a new picture with colours so beautiful I can hardly wait to heat up the dye bath. Over coffee the other morning, I found this....


On these pages the author, Elaine Eskesen, talks about looking for colour inspiration in your child's art work. How timely!! In the top left corner of the page, she shows readers a batch of newly dyed wool, the colour-way inspired by the art work in the lower right corner. I started rifling through the kids art portfolio almost immediately, pulling out several pieces that caught my eye. I was already imagining what I would knit with the not-yet-dyed wool.

And then I got side-tracked (not hard to do with the young Birds around). The day went on....and then the mail came. And this arrived:

I ordered this pattern last week. Last night I was telling the hubby with a sigh that I want to sew as well as I knit. His response,

"well, then I guess you should sew as much as you knit"

Are men really that simple? Why couldn't he read my mind and understand that what I was REALLY saying is that I want to sew as well as I knit RIGHT NOW....not 27 years from now, which is how long it has taken me to knit this well. In 27 years my kids will have NO interest in wearing anything that I make for them. This is URGENT! I must sew well NOW!

To soothe my panicking soul I went to SuperBuzzy to find the perfect fabric for my sweet Baby Bird's sundress.

As I was straightening up before bed, I stumbled (literally) over Dyeing to knit where I had left it lying (laying? I'm grammatically challenged) earlier in the day. A shot of guilt went straight through my heart. I felt as though I had been caught in a moment of infidelity. Am I seriously considering cheating on my first true love, knitting? Is it possible that I am moving on from an almost 3 decade long relationship, for something new and more exciting? Is there room in my life for 2 loves?

Why is it so hard for me to make a decision about where to start?! Please tell me that I am not the only one out there who suffers from this kind of indecision.....am I?

1 comment:

gita said...

I love you. I hate you. Now I want to learn to Spin AND Dye. Oh, and raise lamas for my own wool. Dammit! I hate you! But I still love you.